Rochester Computer Club Monitor - February 1998

Table of Contents

  1. President's Page
    • Joe Pia
  2. Minute by Minute
    • Bill Wells
  3. BBS News
    • Bob Frank
  4. SIG and New Users Group
    • NUG John McMillan
  5. You Can Write A Softare Review
    • Geryll Norriss
  1. Micro-Tyrant
    • Dick Comegys
  2. Fastmove 2.0
    • Jack Greenky
  3. New Developments
    • Ken Fermoyle
  4. Graphics Formats
    • Ken Fermoyle
  5. Prehistoric DTP
    • Ken Fermoyle
  6. Membership Application (paper version)

Copies may be purchased at numerous fine stores here in Rochester, NY, USA.

In the absence of prior reserved or restricted rights, material published in the Newsletter is thereby copyrighted by the Rochester Computer Club, and subject to negotiation for reprints or further use.

RCC Newsletter Quick Jump
1/96 2/96 3/96 4/96 5/96 6/96 7/96 8/96 9/96 10/96 11/96 12/96
1/97 2/97 3/97 4/97 5/97 6/97 7/97 8/97 9/97 10/97 11/96 12/97
1/98 2/98 3/98 4/98 5/98 6/98 7/98 8/98 9/98 10/98 11/98 12/98

Inside Front Cover

Published monthly by the:
Rochester Computer Club
1945 Ridge Rd E. Dept. 5180
Rochester, NY 14622-2467
to promote the interchange of ideas and experiences that may provide help and consolation for users of personal computers- at least those utilizing some version of DOS, OS/2, or CP/M and environments like Windows and Geos.
We welcome letters, questions and contributions that may stretch our minds, help us laugh at ourselves and open new possibilities in the ways we put these machines to work.
Messages can be left on the BBS- the General Message area for anyone; Club Members may use Area 4. For full articles, do an ASCII-text version; if you have graphics, make them .PCX black-&-whites (please include a note on credits and copyright holders for all graphics); ZIP them all into one file; and upload it to File Area 8- The newsletter area; or attach it as a file to your message. We reserve the right to edit, but will strive to include all pertinent submissions in the earliest possible issue.
In the absence of prior reserved or restricted rights, material published in the Newsletter is thereby copyrighted by the Rochester Computer Club, and subject to negotiation for reprints or further use.
Advertising in the Monitor can be negotiated at the rate of:
$25/full-page/insertion; $15 half-page; $10 quarter-page.
Classifieds (1/16 page) are free to RCC Members; call for details. Contact the Editor by the 15th of the month.

-Steve Staub, Editor email:steve55@aol.com

Help Hours: 9AM to 4PM [m] 6PM to 9PM [l] Both [']

Basic Telecommunication
Charles Sumner
334-2989
'
C Compilers
Tom Walters
266-1712
d BASE Applications Programming
Warren Ganter
wpg5@stellar1.com
671-1601
DeskTop Publishing
Dick Comegys
436-3329
DOS Operations
Warren Ganter
671-1601
File Management (Housekeeping)
Warren Ganter
671-1601
Excel
Tom Walters
266-1712
GEOS (Ensemble / NewDeal Office)
Dick Comegys
436-3329
Imaging Operations
Warren Ganter
671-1601
Internet / Netscape
Tom Walters
266-1712
Phone Book
Charles Sumner
334-2989
'
Word Perfect
Charles Sumner
334-2989
'
Word Perfect
Geryll Norriss
865-7458
HELP Writing reviews for the club newsletter
Geryll Norriss
865-7458
HELP Writing reviews for the club newsletter
Norma Leone
385-1269
HELP Writing reviews for the club newsletter
Sam Scozzari
(315) 524-4411

President's Page

A great big "Thank You" to all the people who helped make the January meeting the success it was. The presenters, including those who filled in for those who didn't show, the stage managers who did battle with the chalk board and won, and to the organizers, especially Tom Bowllan. Thanks also to Karen Pollard, known unofficially as KP, for handling for the first time the check-ins, memberships both new and renewal, and all the folderol that goes with that job. You all "done good."
Now an announcement: As most of us have known for some time, the President's job is too big for one person. Consequently I am appointing some Executive Assistants to help me out. They will serve, as they say in parliamentary lingo, "at the President's pleasure." The first such person is Dr. Jean Bradt.
A couple of other matters will require some help from the membership at large. Please read on and be prepared to let me or Jean know of your willingness to serve.
I think we need a New Directions Committee. The idea is to compare us with other Users' Groups on the continent. We can establish some benchmarks or standards set by those other Groups. Then we ask ourselves what would it take for us to become one of those Best Users' Groups in the country? Would you like to serve on this Committee? Lemme know soonest.
Something else needed is a Publications Board. We have several publications, but we've expected one or two people to carry the whole burden.
That's not fair to either the persons or the Club. I see the Publications Board as maintaining an oversight function on everything put out with the RCC name on it. Including The Monitor. Volunteers?
Budgeting is something else we have needed for a long time. Each commit- tee or SIG needs to decide what it wants to do for the year and to figure out how much those activities will cost. We would like budget proposals to the Executive Board by its March meeting. We will keep in touch. Frank Howden and I will probably run a meeting so that we can all figure out how to fulfil this responsibility. When we know what it costs to run our organization, we can divide that number by the annual dues of $30. The result will tell us how many members we need to maintain ourselves at the current level of activity and sophistication.
In the past we have considered getting incorporated, but nothing ever hap- pened. At the January Planning Meeting the Board authorized me to proceed with getting incorporated. Any volunteers to help me out?
This is going to be an active and busy year. We are already growing in numbers. It's time to develop an appreciation of ourselves as a group that should be very important. Rochester Computer Club, December 16, 1997 St. Stephen' s Church.

Return To Top

Minute by Minute

Vice President-elect Frank Howden opened the meeting as directed by President -elect Joe Pia.
Frank stood before the blackboard and with chalk in hand proceeded to sketch the outline of an agenda. Asking for points of interest he soon had a full slate and with imput established an order of priority.
Because of a commitment Charles Sumner asked to be heard first. His message was that we need a BBS. Club members could seek information and as members contact each other. One service line disignated as official BBS. After studying many options and reporting their worth to us Charles made a motion to accept Bob Frank's offer to provide BBS service. It was seconded and approved.
Steve Staub will look into the possible need for larger facilities for our Program Meetings.
Karen Pollard has decided to grab the bull by the horns and accept the Membership Chair. Good for her, we wish her well.
Once again a request was made to conduct a knowledge survey. The purpose would be to generally learn the level of CPU expertise members possess.
The survey sheet could be handed out at the door by Steve Staub and his helpers, asking each person to fill out and hand in before leaving.
The Library was discussed and the need for a CD ROM was accepted as a neccessity. It was moved and seconded that $80.00 be advanced to Marty Becktell for purchase.
Phone bills connected with our BBS's budget came up and it was voted to send Paul Cassarino a check of $50.00 and ask for an accounting of any excess out-standing.
On the subject of budgets, every chair and SIG must submit a budget for the comming year. It was suggested that at the January Program Meeting the Secretary contact all leaders of SIG's and stress the urgency of presenting a budget.
With the retirement of Dick Comegys it appears set that Rochester Computer Club can continue to use St. Stephens Church as a base for the formation and mailing of our Newsletter.
The cost will be $100.00 per month for use of the premises and $90.00 per month for the use of the machines. Program Chair Tom Bowllan will contact SIG chairs and give a short talk stressing more involvement.
Tom took an impromtu survey of the last Program Meeting and the marjority opted for shorter meetings.
Pres. Joe Pia, Vice Pres. Frank Howden and Program Chair Tom Bowllan will decide the adgenda for the January Program Meeting.
With the apparent slow death of our BBS and considerable lower exspenses it was suggested that we look into cutting the dues to $25.00 yearly.
Vice. Pres. Frank Howden thanked Marty Becktell and made a plea that he will comtinue to contribute to our users group. It was warmly endorsed by all.
RCC25 PROGRAM MEETING 1\13\98 Brighton High School
Vice Pres. FRANK HOWDEN opened Help's Half Hour without an expert and the belief that information will come from the members and guests present. The new format worked well. A plea was made to stand and speak in the direction best for words to be heard. Topics ran from problems with Prodigy upgrading, call them. Browser is often more up to date than manual. Sometimes Help can help. Can you you run pure DOS on same machine with Win95? It was suggested to create a floppy disk for DOS. The session proved to be informative.
TOM BOWLLAN urged members to look into the benefits of an active and vibrant SIG program. Pick one or start one of your own choosing and interest.
Publisher STEVE STAUB needs help with the newsletter. He believes every member is a helper so join up. At present the newsletter is set up as follows; first page is the Presidents; second page, recordings of meetings; then lists of software on hand; followed by GERYLL NORRISS's library report. It is hoped that SIG Chairs will submit small minutes of group activities. STEVE urged that software reviews be handed in quickly and limited to two pages and spell checked. DICK COMEGYS will soon end his association with the newsletter and needs two members to work with him and learn the printing process. Contact him at 436-3329.
Putting the newsletter together usually happens the last Sunday of the month as noted in the newsletter. We can use up to eight members so count yourself as one and come along.
BOB CLELAND is a one person Lotus 123 SIG who would like to see a group form. Meanwhile those interested can contact him and learn by phone. 865-2113. e-mail:cleland@netacc.net
KAREN WILLBRANT was drawn to Rochester Computer Club because of our SIG activities. As Chair of the reclaiming and reassembling of unused CPU components SIG she, with the help of Marty Becktell, Stu Becktell and Mel Parish managed to provide CPU’s to county and city schools. Look for her detailed article in newsletter. If interested in joining her usefull and educational group contact her at: 346-3029. e-mail; kwill@fronttienet.net
MARTY BECKTELL WIN NT SIG will meet at his house the last Tuesday of the month at 7:00PM. WIN NT is the grandfather of 95. Provides super service. Faster and does not crash as much. Because of economic value he hoped for certification interest but will go in whatever direction group wishes. Reach him at 473-7644 or e-mail:martyb@netacc.net and he will respond.
Chairman TOM WALTERS; INTERNET SIG meets the 3rd Thursday's of the month. It is often a floating group so contact him at 266-1712 for details.
JOHN McMILLAN reported that the New Users Group in the able hands of PETE MOORE meets the first Tuesday of the month at Henrietta MEDIA PLAY 6:30 - 7:30. Call John at 872-4867 for details.
Game Chair STU BECKTELL is forming a group for the 1st Tuesday of the month. Come and learn about new and other games.Strategy for play and questions and answers will be covered. Possible skill levels will be established and members listed according to proficiency growth.
Librarian GERYLL NORRISS has a new CPU with enough goodies to give her loads of fun and room for future moves. A reminder here; getting software from the library means honesty and integrity. Therefore, it is assumed that if a member uses it and then returns it to the library it is hoped that everything will be erased from the members CPU.
CHARLES HASLIP and CHARLES SUMNER will work with BOB FRANK in the operation of the BBS chosen for members use. BOB at this time is much too busy to go it alone. The CHARLES TWINS urge members to submit information to the BBS, such as SIG and club meetings, etc.
Vice Pres. FRANK HOWDEN conducted the business portion of the meeting which consisted mainly of reviewing the by-laws page by page and deleting all references to Frog and Lilypad. This meant one page at a time being scrutinized on the overhead screen and discussed. Pages one through five were covered and the changes approved and passed singly. Copies of the new by-laws with the changes will be available at future meetings.
Respectfully
Bill Wells, Sect'y

Return To Top

BBS News

RCC Monitor article, February 1998
By: Robert Frank
Title: BBS News
Greetings fellow club members. Many of you have known me as the Software Committee Chairman and the Program Committee Chairman for the club in previous years. Now I'm your BBS sysop! Actually, to keep the record straight, it's my BBS and I'm letting to club use it, but lets not let that stand in the way. Come on in and make yourself at home.
The BBS is called New York Online and it's phone number is (716) 227-6966. I've always described the BBS as a family BBS offering shareware, Fidonet conferences, Fidonet Netmail, Internet E-Mail and games to play. Also in the near future we'll be offering Internet Newsgroups, as soon as I figure out how. I've had a few unattended to problems to fix on the BBS and there are a couple of others to tackle, but on top of my things to do list is to setup special areas and a menu on the BBS for the club's use.
There is already a public and a Members to Members message area on the BBS as well as a members only file area. What needs to be added is a place to drop off newsletter reviews, a membership form for new members, announcements of upcoming events and what ever else we can think of. Is there anything anyone would like to see available on the BBS? Let me know what you want and I'll see if I can supply that service for you.
Seeing how the BBS will now be associated with the computer club, I think it would be appropriate that the BBS bulk up it's computer support areas. One thing I'll be looking for in the future is file and message areas with a technical support emphasis. There must be a file feed, for example, of Windows drivers and that sort of thing.
For your information, below is a message sent to all users of the BBS on 1/18/98. Give it a read, it broaches a few issues that you might find interesting.
Hello boys and girls:
I'm writing you this message today to inform you of some new changes to the BBS. First I would like to apologize for being an absentee sysop over the past year. As some of you know, my Mom became gravely ill a year ago and passed away. Mom's sickness, death and an extended grieving process has kept away from my BBS for far to long. I intend to be far more active in the future.
A new body of users have joined us here on the BBS. I would like to welcome the membership of the Rochester Computer Club that has adopted this BBS as their own. I'm proud that they have chosen New York Online as their home and in the future I'll be adding special areas and features for their use.
Once you have finished reading this message and precede on to the rest of the BBS, you'll find new menus that I hope will make the BBS easier to use. ANSI graphic pull down menus have replaced the multitude of separate screens you have used in the past. Those of you who are still using the plain text ASCII menus I would like to encourage you to switch over to the ANSI menus if your computer system supports them. You can change your selection of which menus you would like to use by pressing 'A' in the configuration menu. I hope everyone will give the ANSI menus a chance, their cool, slick and easier to use.
Returning to the BBS after an extended absence is free Internet E-Mail. In the message menu you'll see a selection labeled "E-Mail", this selection will take you to a sub-menu where you can select to go to the Fidonet Netmail area or the Internet E-Mail area. Each of theses areas offer a separate message area and commands for the two different types of E-Mail. To send an Internet E-Mail message simply select 'W' (Write) from the Internet E-Mail menu and place the E-Mail address of the recipient in the To: field like this:
Posting message in EchoMail area "Internet E-Mail".